Friday, March 7, 2008

I'm Cassandra

Hello everyone!
My name is Cassandra, and I am in my first year here at American University. I am studying International Relations, hopefully with a focus in the Middle East. I am also studying Spanish and Arabic language. I am originally from Ohio, which (I can never miss an opportunity to brag) was the home of the Wright Brothers, inventors of the airplane. Actually, they were from my area, so there are a lot of buildings named after them. Granted, their first actual flight was actually in North Carolina, but we nurtured them. :) I have tons of other things to brag about concerning Ohio and my hometown, should anyone care to hear them.

Originally, I was from a town in Ohio that was pretty much in the middle of nowhere, where my neighbors included cows, roosters, ostriches, and llamas (the last two are kind of strange). It was good to grow up there, but when I grew older, we moved to a slightly larger place. And now here I am in DC (kind of a big city for me), which I like a lot. I do not like NYC for the record, as all the traffic and such is kind of scary.

In my free time, I like to read. Also, I am a belly dancer, and have been for four years or so. I would like very much to start to learn dabkah. Otherwise, I just hang around the dorms here and hang out with friends, or explore DC. There is so much here, like monuments and embassies. A tradition here is to go trick or treating for Halloween at the different embassies.

I really like to travel also. I went to Peru to see Macchu Picchu, which is incredible, Canada, Costa Rica, Norway, Italy, and Turkey. The husband of my cousin is from Turkey, and my newest aunt is from Iraq, though she is Chaldean. Both have taught me so much in the last few years. I am happy to have a large extended family. If nothing else, there is always something interesting to gossip about. Everyone knows everything about everyone else, but it is all in good fun, I think.

I am also on Facebook, if you want to find me. I loved talking with you all and can't wait to do it again. I am not sure yet what I would like to talk about, but I've been trying to read up on Oman lately. It's really very interesting.

Later I will upload some pictures. Hope to hear from the rest of you soon!
-Cassandra

No comments: