Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Hi, My name is Will

Hi Everyone,

I figured that I would get the ball rolling with personal introductions as well as issues that I would be interested discussing in the future.

My name is William Herman and I am currently a junior at American University studying international studies and education studies. I am from a rural area in the state of Maine (it is the most northeast state in the U.S. and borders Canada). I have an interest in music, sports (ice hockey is my favorite), and politics. In my free time I like to go to the gym, spend time with my girlfriend and friends, to play sports and to play and listen to music.

In our future discussions, I would be interested in exploring the issues of gender roles and religion. I feel that in these two areas our cultures are quite different. Hopefully, by talking about these differences we will all come to understand (even if we do not agree) with each others' perspective.

4 comments:

Asma said...

Hi everyone :)

My name is Asma Mahmood and I am currently a senior at the Modern College of Business and Science (MCBS), majoring in business management and marketing. I graduate this May (Yaaaay) !!

I am originally from India, from a city called Hyderabad in Andhra Pradesh. My family moved to Oman when I was 7 years old and since I've grown up in Oman, I often refer to Oman and not India, as my hometown.

I love meeting new people, interacting with them and having a variety of discussions with them. In my free time, you can find me catching up on movies or trying to find the latest fiction books and desperately trying to catch up on reading them. I am also a startup leader for the student organization AIESEC in Oman.

I tried adding all of you from AU on my facebook but it was so so sooooooooo hard to find you :( So i guess the only option is for all of you to add us.

In our next discussion I would like to discuss the worldwide problem of education that is becoming prevalent. By education I am not referring to education in Third World countries, but in fact the education problem amongst youth in the United States,Europe and a lot of developing countries. Education levels have been dropping in high schools and youth prefer to read glossy magazines over classic novels. They write essays in the format of T9 text, which is disturbing !! I would like to know your opinion on this topic.

ciao till later !!

Cassandra said...

Hey Asma.
If you look up Cassandra Ake on Facebook, I am the only one with that name on there. It's pretty cool. I will work on putting some of the stuff I know about the education system here up, though I don't know all that much. I've done a few reports on it, though most of it deals with the different issues of school funding, which, at least here in the US, is a mess. What is AIESEC? Bye bye for now. :)

kauther said...

hey there =)
my name is kauther fareed. im currently on my second year at the modern college ! so yah i have a long way to go. im majoring in business managment -human resource.

Im Omani and i come from a place called " sharqiya". its a quite enteria area here in oman. But i live in the Capital Muscat.

Im really excited about this programme and is looking farward to the our next discussion.

the topics you guys have prepared seem very intresting so im going to them as well so im prepared for the next discussion.
take care =)

Shannon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.